Windows Small Business Server (SBS) (formerly Microsoft Small Business Server) is an integrated server suite from Microsoft designed for running network infrastructure (both intranet management and Internet access) of small and medium enterprises having no more than 75 workstations or users. Application server technologies are tightly integrated to enable small businesses with targeted solutions such as the Remote Web Workplace, and offer management benefits such as integrated setup, enhanced monitoring, a unified management console, and remote access.
The main reasons for small scale industries to use Small business server 2008 are:
- Newest releases of all the SBS 2008 technology components, designed together for an optimal experience for small businesses
- Vastly improved support for line-of-business applications for your favorite CRM (customer relationship marketing), accounting, or manufacturing database software, and designed to sit on a second server (SBS 2008 Premium)
- Updated, easier-to-use management console now organized by business tasks.
- Streamlined setup and deployment to reduce the cost of deploying and maintaining your network
- Updated anti spam protection for improved security
- New disaster recovery capabilities with PC and server backup and recovery
- Redesigned monitoring and reporting features for PC, server, and even antivirus status
- Streamlined interface for remote access capabilities to easily access e-mail, contacts, calendar, desktop resources, and now even Microsoft SharePoint files from one easy-to-use location
- Improved internal company Web site capabilities for better list management, plus wikis and blogs
- Integration with new Microsoft Office Live Small Business 2 for everything you need to take, promote, and manage a business on the Internet
SBS 2008 also reduces the operation cost of the business. With a dedicated hosted SBS server, there’s no need to store your critical e-mail and business data on a system shared with other companies. You can configure and customize the solutions to meet your unique business requirements.
In this age of globalization we need to travel from one place to another regularly. It is impossible to carry all the vital information with us. So anytime anywhere access of our data is the key for success. This is the main advantage of hosted SBS 2008. With SBS 2008 one can connect to critical e-mail, calendar and contact information from any Windows XP Pro or Vista PC, MAC 10.4+, Windows 7, Windows Mobile 5.0+, Blackberry 4.0+,iPhone, or any device with Microsoft Active Sync to Exchange through the Internet.